Taxidermy and Skins
Statement of Purpose
These links and documents contain information about the care and preservation of skin and taxidermy collections. There is a wealth of information on this topic already written, much of which is available online. The Highlighted Taxidermy and Skins
Rachael Perkins Arenstein, Eugenie Milroy, George Dante
- Natural History Museum London, Conservation and Collections Care Unit: Standards in the care of skins and taxidermy collections
- Natural History Museum London, Conservation and Collections Care Unit: Bibliography for Skins and Taxidermy
History of Taxidermy
- Storage Techniques for Art, Science & History Collections - (type taxidermy into the site’s search bar)
- Storage Methods for Taxidermy Specimens, 1992. WAAC Newsletter, Vol. 14:2
Stabilization & Restoration of Taxidermy
- American Museum of Natural History: In Their True Colors: Developing New Methods for Recoloring Faded Taxidermy project blog
- Nieuwenhuizen, Linda, 1998. Synthetic Fill Materials for Skin, Leather, and Furs. Journal of the American Institute for Conservation (JAIC), Vol. 37, 1:10
- Ritchie, F., J. Thornton, and A. Shugar, October 2012. When Modern Materials Fail: Rehabilitation of a Taxidermy Orangutan from the Buffalo Museum of Science. ICOM-CC Natural History Collections Working Group Newsletter, Issue No. 17.
Taxidermy & Pest Control
- Connecting to Collections Care Webinars
- Goldberg, Lisa. 1996. A History of Pest Control Measures in the Anthropology Collections, National Museum Of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution. Journal of the American Institute for Conservation (JAIC),Vol. 35, 1:3.
- Canadian Museum of Nature Blog, No Food, No Drink, No Pests
- UK Museum Curator’s blog
Taxidermy & Disaster Recovery
- Museum SOS: Case study of the Lundy Collection of taxidermy animal trophies
- American Institute for Conservation Wiki
- Spafford-Ricci, Sarah & Fiona Graham. The Fire at The Royal Saskatchewan Museum, Part 2: Removal Of Soot From Artifacts And Recovery Of The Building. Journal of the American Institute for Conservation (JAIC), Volume 39, 1:3.